The Difference Between K-Drama and Philippine Teleseryes

Everyone is getting obsessed with k-drama, my family included. There is something about k-drama's that has everyone hooked. Which makes me wonder why everyone's obsessed with k-drama and not pinoy teleseryes? What is the difference between the two? 

If you look closely, there isn't much diferrence between the two. There's drama and romantic plot lines in both. Pinoy teleseryes however tend to drag on endlessly making the series long. K-dramas on the other hand usually have an average of 16 episodes. Also, pinoy teleseryes are shorter usually 30 minutes per episode. While k-dramas are longer usually 60 minutes per episode. 


I have discovered something though through watching the KBS drama awards. As it turns out, shows with 16 episodes or less is called a mini-series. While shows with around 20 episodes is called a mid-length drama. And shows with 30 episodes or more is called a serial drama. 


So, what is it that makes k-drama sa popular? Is it the storytelling or the breathtaking scenes or the visual effects? I think it's all that. I mean, most pinoy teleseryes have stories that appear contrived. There are a few exceptions though. In retrospect, it is escapism that k-dramas and teleseryes bring to viewers. 


Lately, I have noticed that my family has become more and obsessed with k-drama. Every week, they watch a different k-drama. They have already finished watching Crash Landing on You, Descendants of the Sun, Love in the Moonlight, Mr. Sunshine and Itaewon Class. They are currently watching Law School. 


Although, I find myself watching certain k-dramas like DOTS and Love in the Moonlight. I find myself feeling kilig whenever I see the main stars of the show interact and do something sweet. It's like when I watch pinoy teleseryes and I see my favorite characters. 


Ever since I started watching DOTS and Love in the Moonlight, I have become obsessed with Korean actors Song Joongki and Park Bo Gum to the point that I have done my research on them in order to find out what shows they did. And now, I am currently watching The Innocent Man, Vincenzo, Encounter and Hello Monster all at the same time. I also watched Joongki's movie called The Battleship Island and Bo Gum's movie called Seo Bok. I have yet to watch Joongki's Space Sweepers and I will watch Bo Gum's Wonderland when it comes out on Netflix. 


The last time I really watched a k-drama was back in 2014 when I would watch Coffee Prince with my older sister during the time that she was pregnant. And before that, it was the Endless Love series. However, since then I stopped watching k-drama and I focused more on pinoy teleseryes. 


It is only now that I am getting back into the k-drama craze. I am starting to get obsessed with k-dramas. As my friends put it, I have now been taken ovet by the system. And I agree, I have been taken by the system. Happily so. 

The k-drama obsession is real. I find myself obsessed with both k-drama and pinoy teleseryes. 


Close Menu