OFFICE VS WORK FROM HOME

I actually experience both on a weekly basis. I work remotely (online) twice a week, and commute to the office the rest of the time. Although even when I'm in the office, I am never offline since my company is an internet technology company. Here are the differences as I see them:
WORKING REMOTE/AT HOME:
Challenges:
Not being able to hear the latest banter in the office. Possible feeling of being left out.
Much more difficult to "read the mood" of coworkers.
Takes longer and more effort to meet/discuss work.
Benefits:
You're not being distracted every 11 minutes. Hence, longer stretches of productive work can be done.
You can wear pajamas all day.
You can listen to any music at any volume without headphones.
People think twice before inviting you to join a meeting where you're not absolutely needed.

WORKING IN THE OFFICE:
Challenges:
Every now and then you'll get a cubicle drive-by. Just when you're on the verge of actually getting into the flow.
No quiet place to think.

Benefits:
Quicker access to the expertise of team members. Questions can easily be answered.
You're in the loop with what's going on in the office.
Close Menu