A story of a strange button on the right side pocket of the jacket

On one fine day, I went out for a walk in town in the neighborhood. Finding a flea market open, I entered in to search for something useful for me to buy. Strolling for a while, I saw a green jacket hanging in the clothes section. As I went near, I saw a mirror like button on the right pocket of the jacket. It had a very unique bright shine which made me feel mesmerised. The jacket was olive green and had a blue fur lining and down at the right pocket, the shiny button adding to the beauty of it. I went on to touch the fur and then the button which was abnormally hot. Suddenly I felt as if I saw a flashback by touching it. Startled and petrified, I took my hand back. What is this? Is this a button or something else? Why is it hot as a bead coming out of the furnace? And I only felt a little tingling sensation and didn't get my hand burned. Something was really fishy.


However, I again went on to touch it and now the flashback was clearly visible to me. My grandma was looking at me nodding happily as if I made the perfect choice. Again untouching the button, I thought of the flashback I just saw. Everyone living around during her time considered her a witch due to some unusual powers she possessed. I was bewildered thinking was this her jacket and by touching it somehow the powers which she possessed are getting transitioned to me??


I went inside the market and asked for that jacket and the price. The lady at the counter was happy finding that finally someone was interested in buying it. She was surprised how no one inquired about it even after being such a beautiful piece of clothing. I further asked for the details and found the jacket was an antique of this town. 

I paid the price for it without any bargain and coming out of the market, wore it in an instant. And there it was, all the memories of my grandma came back in front of my eyes. Her laugh, her immense love for us, her selfless care for everyone around, her nature of helping others whenever she can had always made her my hero to look upon. 

I was glad to get this jacket with a strange shiny button as it reconnected me with my beloved grandma. Days passed by and she always guided me through the power of her being able to connect with me. One day, she said "My dear, I have complete faith in you. I know you have the same heart as mine. Hence, I want to tell you a secret which I had kept since years" 


As the dawn set in, she walked me through the road of the neighborhood to an old rusty building. I entered a dark cellar and saw a beautiful antique trunk laying in the corner covered in dust. The moment I touched, it opened and I was amazed to see it full of shiny jewels, pearls and stones. It was a treasure box which grandma had kept hidden since years.




Grandma whispered, "I want you to know, I trust you more than anyone else in this world and I want you to fulfill my last wish through this treasure. My last wish is to use this treasure on people in desperate need. Help the needy in this difficult phase the world is going through"


I then realized the reason for the button shining all the time when I looked at it and that was because it resembled the hidden treasure. I felt overwhelmed and teary eyed feeling the love and trust my grandma had bestowed upon me. I promised myself to move ahead fulfilling her last wish wholeheartedly. 

My grandmother gifted me the best in this world. 'Happiness' which comes by making others happy.


Close Menu